Matthew has had a long standing request in for a robot cake; “not a cake with a robot on it, but a cake in the shape of a robot”. Got it?
So here it is – from inception – Matthew’s sketch (about 11:00 this morning) to completion at about 9:00pm.
|About 47 practice buttons holes later I finished off my cushion commission. Apparently I didn’t photograph the finished articles before sending them off, but they looked like this, but with more cushion-i-ness (and slightly greener).|
After that I rushed to complete my niece’s birthday bag, which I also forgot to photograph, but it was great.
|Not bad for a first go, but a bit rough and far too wide|
|Quite a good fit, but not enough stitching and my spatial awareness with the direction of the zigs and zags was completely off.|
|Again, not too bad, but too close to the centre line so I managed to cut the stitches while opening the hole.|
|The tension was utterly wrong for this one – which is why the white bobbin thread is visible all down one side. |
I am blaming the small money who insisted on sitting on my lap for this stage.
|Better… apart from the really wonky bit. Time to try with the “real” thread (i.e. NOT PINK). |
The key improvement here was that mum suggested making the bar tacks (the long stitches at the top and bottom) first, and then the side stitches. It all balanced much better after that
|Better again! Spacing is right; just needs a little more practice and refinement. Also not sure it is the right colour thread. Hmmm.|
|Nailed it! Now I just need to stop procrastinating and make the real ones.|
(Oh, and learn how to take photos that all look the same colour when finished.)