Smallest of all had her 4th birthday a couple of weeks ago and I had a last minute present inspiration for her. Frankly she has so many clothes that I was struggling to justify making her another dress, but when I saw a very lightweight cotton tablecloth (with yellow flowers and a brown border print) in the charity shop (£1.99) it screamed pyjamas at me. And it has to be said, her current pyjamas are all getting a little snug.
I then found a free pdf pyjama pattern and away I went. Although the original pattern was drafted for a child apparently the same size as mine I did a little enlarging. This all worked fine, except for the sleeve head – arm scye relationship (somehow I didn’t make the sleeve head large enough), but having fudged it by tapering the body in under the arm to make the two bits fit together, the top fits her fine. I also had to add an extra inch to the trousers to bring the waistband further up her body – I can only assume she is long in the body like her brother.
Obviously I bought fabric for this project, but I did manage to bust some of my button stash!! A couple of years ago I was given a card of Beatrix Potter buttons and I have been hoarding them, waiting for the right thing to put them on – and this was it! The colour density on the buttons and the style of the fabric just seemed to fit together, and given that Robin loves the current Peter Rabbit animated series it was a winner. Although she didn’t want the Old Brown button, because “he is a bad one”.
Aside from Robin’s delight, I am really pleased with this make. Especially with all the cutting and pattern matching. In fact every time I see how the border print lines up makes me smile (although not as much as Robin, apparently).